Thursday, March 25, 2010

Simple Spaghetti Sauce from Scratch

I "invented" this because no matter how many jars of the stuff I buy, I always seem to run out of spaghetti sauce at the worst times, and peppers and tomatoes are usually a staple in my kitchen. 


I made it this week for my grandmother, in an attempt to convince her that marinara sauces don't have to consist of only pureed tomatoes and a little garlic powder.  It went over well, and I'm about to miss my self imposed posting deadline, so I figured I'd put it up.  


2 bell peppers, one red and one green, diced
4 chopped tomatoes, or one can of stewed tomatoes
5 tbs olive oil
1 clove garlic
black pepper and basil flakes or pesto to taste

Heat up five tablespoons of olive oil in one large skillet.  Sauté the garlic, bell peppers, black pepper, and basil flakes / pesto until the peppers begin to soften.  Add the tomatoes and let simmer for at least twenty minutes.  Goes well with just about any kind of pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment