Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lazy Woman's Enchilada Sauce


I enjoy making enchiladas out of leftover rice, spinach, and beans.  I tend to do this on weeknights, when I've just gotten home from work and I'm not really in the mood to sit down and cook a huge meal.  Rather than go to the trouble of making a from-scratch enchilada sauce, sometimes I take half a jar of spaghetti sauce and modify it to make it an enchilada sauce.

This idea occurred to me when I looked at the ingredients of a jar of tomato and garlic spaghetti sauce and noticed that enchilada sauce had the same base ingredients: tomatoes, garlic, and oregano.

To transform plain ol' pasta sauce into Lazy Woman's Enchilada Sauce, add:

2 tablespoons unsweetened baker's chocolate
4-5 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon chili flakes
2 tablespoons all purpose flour (for thickening -- don't use if you plan on keeping enchiladas warm in the oven for some time)

Combine in saucepan, simmer for 4-5 minutes, pour over enchiladas, and then bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment