Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Recipe Aid: Help My Aloo Palak

Last night, I experimented with combining elements of various Aloo Palak (creamed spinach and potato curry) recipes I have read over the years, and my experiments have yielded this dish.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, but it needs a something little extra.  Je ne sais quoi.  Do you have any ideas?

Basic Aloo Palak 

1 cup strained Greek yogurt
1 cup water or milk
1 cube frozen chopped spinach
6 diced Yukon Gold potatoes
3 tablespoons garlic
3 tablespoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
curry powder to taste (I like my curry strong so I used at slightly less than 1/4 cup, which sounds like a lot, but potatoes, yogurt, and spinach tend toward the bland otherwise)

Sauté garlic, cinnamon, ginger and curry powder in large saucepan.   Add the frozen cube of spinach and let it thaw and soak in the spices.  Add the potatoes and simmer for half an hour.  Serve on a bed of rice.
Serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. when i was at vegfest last year, the indian food vendor at the table next to us was handing out a recipe sheet and a pre mixed packet of spices. (i made the chick pea curry- it came out really good.) here are the spices in the packet- maybe this will help?
    1/8 tsp chili powder
    1/8 garam masala
    1/4 tsp of tumeric powder
    2 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp salt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add these to my list of spice to pick up on my next run to Super 88. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete